Sunday, December 6, 2015

Battle of Barosa ACW remix

So John and I have both felt that General Bonaparte and the Chain of Command would play a lot better in "15mm" scale.  The only problem is we don't have Napoleonic armies in that scale but we do have ACW  troops left over from our Longstreet campaign So we decided to replay our Barosa battle with the Confederacy substituting for the French and the Yankees substituting for the British.
Even during setup it was clear that the reduction in the foot print of the troops will make a big difference,
 we have space to set up.
John moved first and charged his cavalry right at my guns.  I used an interrupt to fire and got some hits but not enough...
My roll in combat was truly pathetic I got some shock but my boys were routed...
Johns cavalry burst through...
Yankee infantry lurks in the woods that were so prominent in the last fight
I'm maneuvering to secure the "high ground"...
and my left flan.
I get one of John's isolated units in a cross fire.
The Texas brigade move against he woods
I'm in a pretty good spot John pulls his infantry back and I have a reasonably contiguous line to troops
I launch an assault up the hill and drive the Yankees back
The rout through the cavalry.
I have a good postion on the hill and will be able to move up the hill.
Both armies are solidifying their position
Guns move up on to the hill and troops move up to secure the flank of the guns
The Texans and Yankees are exchanging fire
My troops move off the hill and John uses an interrupt to blast me with artillery my cavalry coming up on the flank fell short...
As did this passing though lines attack....
Not much has changed... but....
John throws back my cavalry troops
John, planning his counter stroke...
The Yankees advance on the Texans... the attack on the right using the "huzzah!" special dice rule...
On the left we have a fire fight.. on the left my unit breaks...
Cavalry fails to break through...
The Louisiana Tigers hit the guns but are driven off
Fire breaks Johns infantry in the center
I drive of the Yankees on the left in a fire fight but cannot break the unit on the right... 
With our game time for the day running out I hold the key hill but my units are battered and John has a good sized elite corps coming up.   We are a few turns form a clear decision but I think John has the better situation especially as I have been rolling like crap most of the game.  Planing in 18mm made the game far more interesting our table was just to congested with 28mm figures and the fights resembled to rams slamming their heads together.

No comments:

Post a Comment