Friday, May 29, 2020
Friday, May 22, 2020
Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Monday, May 18, 2020
I was Pleased to be joined by three great players Saturday night for my pirate encounter game for the Let’s Roll remote convention. Chris had the USS Congress, Andrew had the USS Boston, on the French side Ted took command of the Thetis while Robert was in command of the Surveillante.
Saturday, May 16, 2020
With the two American ship tied up with the Serveillante the Thetis is running down the merchant ship.
Thursday, May 7, 2020
I followed Guys lead in cutting up a pair of brigs per Xebec I wanted to make. the image above is a good guide as to where to make the cuts, but you can adjust some forward or back to make a longer or shorter ship. The short parts can be used to make schooners or cutters as per Guy's blog and are a handy addition to your fleet.
Cut the deck pieces as follows I kept all my cannon but you could trim some of them out at this point if you wanted too, Xebecs where used as merchants and these would have fewer guns.
My second Xebec correct this error the fore mast has a significant forward tilt and the mizzen mas has a slightly less extreme tilt. I could have put it further back on the deck and been more accurate but opted to use the hole that was already present on the model.Next I attached the pars to hang my lateen sails from I chose to put the fore mast spar out to starboard and the others to port you will see this configuration in paintings of Xebecs like the one below.
|Antonio Barceló's Xebec Facing two Algerian Corsair Galiots. 1738|
With the spars glued into place its time to start rigging. Keep it simple is my approach I strung a line from the bow to each mast and then down to the stern. I did a line form the mizzen mast to hole by the mounting for the ratlines to mount a flag. I also wrapped some of the thread around the point where the spars meet the masts.
I cut my sails out of gray tracing paper from my daughters sketch pad I basically cut the sails in the shape I wanted but made sure I was a little large then trimmed them down to fit. The rear mast is an attempt at a furled sail. I used some scraps of cloth its OK but not quite what I was going for. Feel free to reach out with question hopefully this will give you some guidance for your own projects. There are some 3D printed Xebecs that may well prove an easier option, but this may also give you some ideas how to proceed with your extra brigs.