Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Saga The Irish invade Vineland

Last Thursday John and I met for a very interesting game of Saga his report is already up here  he describes the scenario and force mix.  I didn't get an initial set up picture but on the left I had two Curaidh and a unit of warriors with Javelins.  Also a unit of wolfhounds that was sent racing to the other side.  I wanted to drive these troops back and keep them form attacking the other side of the board.  One of my champions is already looking a little haggard from canceling shots form arrows.
on the right side I wanted to fight a delaying action using cover where I could.
Still when Javelin troops are in charge range its best to charge especially when the enemy had Javelins too.  The fight was sharp and bloody with several casualties on both sides.
one Curaidh is down but I'm causing damage to both of John's units on the left.
The Javelin troops are down two three figures..
I got the better of the other melee too but only just barely
But John has his men rolling up as well and with some good tactics and good dice he takes out one of my warrior units.
and then pairs down the Hearth guard with multiple attack with Javelins
My Warlord manages to get some revenge but not enough.  John had a small but significant miscue in his last turn that probably saved at least one of my units.  When we totaled up the score it was 18 point to 18 points a dead tie.  I was ahead most of the game but John did really well in his last two turns and evened things up.  Had he used "we obey" to launch an attack with his one unit of warriors that was in good shape before his warlord attacked he would have probably won the game.  These two armies were a very interesting match.

1 comment: