Saturday, January 21, 2012

Panzer Company 1500 pionts

Above is my Panzer company  1500 points including transports, recovery vehicle, bailed out tank crews and two objectives. My Panzer IVs were fetured recently but here are some of my other platoons.

My reading of history tells me armor needs infantry suport but Flames of War may not work that way still I have my platoon of pioneers.  They are only rifle teams but the comand has SMG and they can carry three Flamethrows.
 My most important suport platoon a battery of 10.5 CM howitzers.  They are good at digging out infantry and can kill tanks even Matildas (with the help of a little luck).

My Panzer IIs this platoon is suprizingly effective they have numbers and a gun with a good rate of fire.

7 comments:

  1. Wow you don't get a lot when your core is Panzer IVs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My reading of history tells me armor needs infantry suport but Flames of War may not work that way"

    True that. FoW and reality bear only a passing resemblance to each other. I say that lovingly, I play a lot of FoW.

    Generally, I've found including an infantry platoon in a Panzer company isn't worth the points. The only time I do it is when the list in question, a Viking SS build from "River of Heroes" for example, requires it. Better to include an armored car platoon or something like that if your list allows it I think.

    The exception might be if you know you're going to be on a densely packed city board, but in that case I probably wouldn't run an armor list anyway...

    -Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think you may be right!

    You should come to Adler some Thursday or Saturday play with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I've always been of the opinion that unless your infantry is crap(Italians in EW for instance), Armor forces do best with an infantry platoon(especially pioneers). As a matter of fact really the only reason I like the options for the SOMUA list is that they can get a Vet british infantry unit in support.

    On the attack you send them through the densest approach route(Ideally through some woods).

    Consider a couple of examples, when attacking the defender placed an objective in or next to a building. Without infantry, you are unlikely to be able to present a credible threat to this objective unless you've already killed thier whole army.

    Defending in a mission with mobile battle with nothing but tanks will really screw you as you'll only have one unit. The pioneers at least will keep tanks at bay and give you a second unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip thanks for the feed back. I think part of what I am dealing with is I am playing games in North Africa with very little cover for my infantry. That certainly effects there use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Desert would certainly make using the infantry harder, but not impossible. I think using the Liechte Panzers would make the army easier to play. However, the Pioneers make it a better all round tournament force.

    ReplyDelete