Monday, November 18, 2019

Pickets Charge: Defending Henry Hill

 Friday Night John and I met to try out our system using the Longstreet Campaign with the.  We had hit on the idea of using historical scenarios with our ahistorical campaign forces.  It seemed right to have our test game be from Bull Run. My army consisted of two brigades the Texas Brigade of the 1st, 4th and 5th Texas with a Mixed battery of smoothboors and Rifles holding the hill.  They had a second brigade with Wheat's Tigers and the Hampton Legion (both Infantry and cavalry) in support to the left.
 John had two brigades of infantry one of two battalions and a battery and the other with 4 battalions. the sharp eyed might just see the confederate banners peaking over the hill.
 Interestingly we began the fight with Flank moves against each other's right flanks (this happened alot in the early days of the ACW)
 Well John was actually moving against both flanks at once my cavalry tried a charge but got disordered (unformed under the rules) and fell short of hitting the head of John's column of Zuoves.
Not surprisingly they got smashed the rifled-muskets of the Zouves and the union battery.  A few turns latter they would dispersed under continued pounding.
 My infantry tried to block the union attack on the right but despite landing a good volley the return fire sent us reeling back.
 With the attack developing to the right my guns turn to bring their fire to bear.
The Hampton Legion Infantry in skirmish order is doing a good job holding the Yankees in the woods.
 The Union Artillery preparation is fairly ineffective but two union battalions charge the 4th Texas.  The Texans and the supporting batteries hammer the lead battalion, scoring 8 hits on top of the two it had taken earlier. The Texans don't roll well on their melee test but John's boys have a -7 to over come as a result of the fire they have taken.
The Yankees have run out of time for a Confederate victory though neither side has taken much damage.  Both John and I have earned 3 epic points so our armies will grow by that number of units.
John got 4 See the Elephant cards so 4 of his green units will got the regular status.  I got on See the elephant card that I awarded tot he 4th Texas.  I also got a battery of new rifled artillery  and the CS Replacements card gives me new unit of regulars. So next battle my army will field 12 units.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting concept. I once had a V&B Napoleonic game which I put on with the Gettysburg terrain. I made it slightly unrecognizable, but about halfway through the game someone called me on it and said, "Hey, shouldn't the apples in this orchard be PEACHES".....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that game has become something of a local legend because I have heard about it form many people in the New Enland gaming comunity

      Delete
    2. I may not be the only one that's done it. I also once modeled a 28mm skirmish battlefield for ACW on a micro-sized version of the whole Gettysburg battlefield, almost cartoon style. There was a hill for little round top, broken ground for devils den, etc.

      If you're doing what-if scenarios, there's no reason you can't have fun and still have it be historical enough.

      Delete