Wednesday, November 2, 2016

War Gaming to Reenact.

Thursday I am trying something new I'm going to try and use War gaming to make a reenactment better.
Old Sturbridge Village hosts an event very year and the battle has issues.  The basic issue is one side starts at the top by the cluster of buildings and the other starts in the field at the bottom.  What you can't see here is that the river is significantly lower than the building... attacking up hill across a narrow bridge is not a good idea.  My unit Regiment Saintonge is taking a hand in designing next years event so I am going to see if I can find a way to make the battle more sensible. I'm starting by turning it 90 degrees so the attackers come across the open field and orchard to the left of the buildings and fields.

I'm Using the Honors of wars rules which is not written for the American Revolution but I think it will work just fine.  I am using Seven year war forces in any event as I don't have enough Rev War troops to make it work right now.
You can get sens of how much the land slopes here
The Defenders will start with a force in the "village" which they need to hold because it contains vital supplies.  A relief force that arrives on turn two via the bridge.
The attacker will be coming in two columns on along the road the other across the field by the river which was inspired in part by the Sunday battle this past year.

Defender 740 points
Guard Force Brigade (300)
2 Medium Artillery
1 Regular Infantry (Standard)
2 Irregular Infantry (Standard)

Independent Cavalry (Standard/Small) (70)

Relief Brigade (370)
1 Regular infantry (Superior)
2 Regular Infantry (Standard)
1 Irregular Infantry (Standard)

 Attacker 840 points
Right Wing (300)
1 Medium Artillery
2 Regular Infantry (Standard)
1 Irregular Infantry (Standard)

Left Wing (300)
1 Medium Artillery
2 Regular Infantry (Standard)
1 Irregular Infantry (Standard)

Reserve (240)
2 Regular Infantry (superior) 

No comments:

Post a Comment