So my friend John M is an official play tester for a Division level Napoleonic game by Too Fat Lardies I always like a chance to get in early on a game so I was eager to join in the test he had set up for this Sunday. Playing with me was Mike Fisher a member of the Boston Trained Band. I assume the rule title: General Bonaparte Meets Chain of Command
Over all I liked the game though there are some rough edges.
Thoughts and observation:
1) movement other than straight a head is tough, at one point I wheeled a unit and not only did I loose the distance inherent in making a turn but also half my distance... the time scale is 10 minutes to a turn its reasonable in my mind for a unit (even one of 500 to 600 men) to turn 90 degrees in 10 minutes. I only tried to do it once so maybe I am getting hung up on small sample size but the game does seem to focus on lining up and getting at it and then bringing up the next line.. that's not necessarily bad but I like some maneuver and foot work in my gaming.
2) Positioning your leaders and removing shock seems like the key to success, we had two combats were units were so affected by shock they couldn't throw any dice in the fight. Leaders can activiate subordinates and one of the things they can do is remove shock. You should do this as often as you can, even at the expense of other things.
3) The best point in favor of this game is that Mike and I were playing it pretty much on our own by turn 3 or 4 using John to check rules and make sure we had it right.
4) I think the way elites are handled in combat is strange.
5) the lack of closing fire seems odd, it might not if they explained why.
One other note with 28mm troops the ranges seem too short (I would recommend 15mm or 10mm troops if you don't already have a Napoleonic collection).
John and I are planning to play again on Thursday so I might have more observations at that time.
The LRDG II Podcast- Episode 17 - The LRDG II Podcast- Episode 17 The LRDG II podcast is back with an another exciting, two part episode. In the first segment, I am joined by longtime Ghost...
3 hours ago