Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Challenge Entry US Intelligence and Recon Platoon + Others

One of last weeks entries for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Be sure to check out the others.

So the story behind these figures is I volunteered about a year ago to be a "Ranger" for Battle front. They sent me a bunch of plastic figures that and a few vehicles (you saw the StuGs already) that they say mirrored what was in the "open fire set." I hope this was not the case as I found I was far short of a US Para platoon or company. I did have enough Germans for another project and enough US for a good I&R platoon. This was good since I have discovered recently the I&R platoon is a very handy unit for the USA in Flames of War and having troop dedicated to portraying them will be nice. The troops are mounted on the Urban Bases (more on these latter).

So there they are 2 infantry Stands, a Bazooka stand and an LMG stand as well as two command stands.

I like the they troops have a variety of weapons I&R platoons tended to have lots of firepower.

They get to ride in Jeeps so having a bunch of .30 cal LMGs is not an issue you can switch out your regular infantry stands for up to 3 LMG stands, I always take at least one.

Again troops in Jeeps have no problem carrying a bazooka and the Platoon leader is the phone to HQ while his sergeant looks at the map.

Carefully picking our way through the rubble strung streets of some French or German town

The premade bases are a great Idea but I really didn't find them like working with them.

The miniature bases stand out too much a problem I might be able to fix...

The bases them selves really lack something to my eye as I look down on them... I may need to just cover them with some flock but having painted them it seems a shame.

I put together this extra command stand to use with my Para forces if I ever want to field Major/Captain Winters form Band of Brothers. The stance just reminds me of a an image from the series.

This rear shot didn't come out quite so well. US uniforms are oh so exciting...


Another example of the basing that I think still needs some work. I am pleased with the figures but the bases... I won't get these again and I am glad I didn't pay for them.

The other day I made a US Infantry list with a sniper only to find I had not one US sniper... This will fill the gap. They were supposed to be part of two additional LMG Stands but the 4 men making up the 2 LMG stands went together so badly I scraped them and put these two salvageable figures together as a sniper team. (For those who are wondering they were prone).

I didn't have any more pre-made bases so I did up my own... and your probably not surprised to hear I like it a lot better.

The sniper takes aim using a fence to steady his aim while his partner watches his flank.

No comments:

Post a Comment