Sunday, July 6, 2014

54th and 55th Massachusetts Colores

So a while ago I painted up an African American unit (Negro Regiment in the language of the times) for my Union Army for the game Longstreet.   At that time I did not have any color guard or officers for them at the time so here they are.
 The colors of the 54th are on the left they show the typical white state flag of Massachusetts while the 55th is on the right.  The 55th you will note has a dark blue flag with an American Eagle rather than the Massachusetts State Seal.  The Regiment was made of men from several states (not just Mass contingent of over 200 was from Ohio) and I believe the flag was a gift from a group of women in Pennsylvania.  I found this information some weeks ago but cannot locate now to be sure my memory is correct if anyone has any information I would love to hear from you.
 The 55th's officer could be waving to the ladies or waving his men forward.
 The 54th lead by Shaw on its date with destiny (including his and many other deaths) at Battery Wagner.

No comments:

Post a Comment