Extra Life

Extra Life
Please consider donating to help sick kids

Monday, June 4, 2012

New Army 4th Armor

With the new Book Blood Guts and Glorry from Flames of War I decided it was high time I built an army list for a US army.  I settled on 4th Armor becasue frankly Armor armies are cheep and Shermans (even the advanced ones) can also be used in mid-war if you squint a bit.

Tank armies are also quick to paint, I was able get an army battle ready in about two weeks, see last Thursdays battle here.

Below is the list am currently running. its all tanks. I am trying to decide how to improve it.  (Thanks Easy Army)

PlatoonQtyUnitPoints
Headquarters
Tank Company HQ (4th Division) p.23
1
1
M4A3E8 Easy Eight
M4A3 (76mm) Sherman
285
Combat Platoons
Tank Platoon (4th Division) p.23
2
2
M4A3 Sherman
M4A3 (76mm) Sherman
Hedgerow cutters on up to 1/2 of the platoon tanks
460
Tank Platoon (4th Division) p.23
2
2
M4A3 Sherman
M4A3 (76mm) Sherman
455
Tank Platoon (4th Division) p.23
2
1
M4 or M4A1 Sherman
M4A1 (76mm) Sherman
300
Company Points:1500
Source document: Blood, Guts, & Glory
I would like to stick to what I have at the moment as much as I can, Fortunately I have good selection of Americans to use as supports as I did all my late war Free French support teams in American Uniforms.

I could add a battery or 105s; Jeep mounted recon (I would need to add a few Half-tracks but that's not a serious issue). I have a US Rifle platoon and an US Engineer platoon (and a Sherman Bulldozer) if I want some infantry support.  I think having infantry would be great as the tank telephones let them act as recon for my tanks.

One unit I am considering buy would be the Half-track mortars as they are cheep points wise and would give me a good smoke option (or direct fire to kill dug in infantry and AT guns).


Air support is an option but I think these guys have to get in close to deal with the Big Cats (Tigers and Panthers) limiting what air can do for me.

I would be interested in peoples thoughts out there.