Friday, November 11, 2016

Veterans Day.

To all those who served in War or Peace my thanks on this Veterans day.  Here is the first Verteran I ever knew. Despite my very young age I do remember him I can see him sitting in his old green chair as we ate a plate of Thomas's toaster Corn muffins together.   
My Grand father Chief Carpenters Mate Joe Sullivan. I knew him a Papa he died from lung cancer in 1978 when I was 2. He was born in 1917 and could have sat out the war building shipyards(he was a Union Pile Driver) in New England (he had a job offer) he decided to enter the Navy as a SeaBee instead. His reason according to Nana was not entirely patriotic, he want to be able to say he was a veteran when he applied to jobs. According to Nana he missed out on more than one job in the 30s because he wasn't a Vet, and he didn't want that to happen again. His unit served at Tinian and Okinawa.





No comments:

Post a Comment