Extra Life

Extra Life
Please consider donating to help sick kids

Friday, November 11, 2016

Veterans Day.

To all those who served in War or Peace my thanks on this Veterans day.  Here is the first Verteran I ever knew. Despite my very young age I do remember him I can see him sitting in his old green chair as we ate a plate of Thomas's toaster Corn muffins together.   
My Grand father Chief Carpenters Mate Joe Sullivan. I knew him a Papa he died from lung cancer in 1978 when I was 2. He was born in 1917 and could have sat out the war building shipyards(he was a Union Pile Driver) in New England (he had a job offer) he decided to enter the Navy as a SeaBee instead. His reason according to Nana was not entirely patriotic, he want to be able to say he was a veteran when he applied to jobs. According to Nana he missed out on more than one job in the 30s because he wasn't a Vet, and he didn't want that to happen again. His unit served at Tinian and Okinawa.