Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Challenge X Entry #20 Fran’s Fjord; The Snow Lord's Own and HMS Unicorn (68 Points)

So as you may recall from past challenges I have an Imagi-nation called the Grand Duchy of D’Argent and their traditional foe the Draconian Empire. I like to give wargamer friends regiments in the service of the Draconian Empire. 

Given the task for the location I decided to honor our fearless organizer with a regiment of his own.
The Figurers are Essex Miniatures I went with blue and white in honor of our leaders snow capped peak and blue monster manifestation.
The Flag is purely out of my head but inspired by some French and German flags of the period.
HMS Unicorn is the last of my initial purchase for Black Seas. I decided to do a Royal Navy frigate because I wanted one to add an extra dynamic to a convention game I am working on.
A convention that will probably be cancelled out of an abundance or caution to use the fashionable phrase (figures crossed this will blow over by May).
I went with buff instead of yellow for the stripe along the gun ports. I added a bit of gold-leaf showing our frigate captain was lucking in prize money or has private means.
I’m very pleased with how the ship came out. OK points. Fran’s Fjord give 30 points, the ten 15mm figures provide 20 and HMS Unicorn will provide me with another 18. That give me 68 more points for pile.
HMS Unicorn will now take me along the coast to Saunders Sand Dunes (if that’s allowed).

***

Fine work here Adam. I'm sure I join many Challengers in expressing sheer horror at the idea of the Snow Lord having his own Regiment of Foot to unleash upon unwary travellers, but I have no doubt the Lord himself will be thrilled!

And it has been a lot of fun watching your "Black Seas" project(s) come together so nicely. This is another great-looking ship...I wish I could offer more intelligent commentary, but I'm the age-of-sail gamer who says things like "I'll take the one with the cannons!" so I'm not much help there. But damn, it looks cool! 

In terms of your Challenge Island routing proposal...I'll leave that to higher powers, but it may be that one requires a balloon ride to make the trip you propose... 

That will be another 68 points for you. Here's hoping your event goes ahead...

GregB

No comments:

Post a Comment